The main theme of this meet is to discuss and form committees and bringing together volunteers for organizing Software Freedom Day at Puducherry for the 1st time. It was planned to start the meet at 10:00 AM morning, and people started to arrive the venue around 10:00 and until everyone arrives we had a kind of introduction to new comers and played the Software Freedom Day song.
List of Members
1. Mr. K. Viramani (Employee – TCS).
2. Mr. D. Prabhu (Asst. Prof. Mailem Engineering College).
3. Ms. V. Shabanu (Student – Pondy Univ.)
4. Mr. N. Praburaj (Business)
5. Mr. M. Balaramakrishnan (working)
6. Mr. Murugavel (Pursuing Charted Account).
7. Ms. S. Sindhuja (Student)
8. Mr. V. Meenakshi Sundaram (GNU/Linux Blogger)
9. Mr. M. Ramesh (Student – Christ College of Engineering)
10. Mr. M. Lalith Kumar (Student – RGCET)
11. Mr. K. Vijayamurthy (Pondicherry Science Forum)
12. Mr. P. Pradhip Kumar (GNU/Linux + Open Source Enthusiast).
13. Mr. Prasanth Radhakrishnan (Journalist – The Hindu & member FSFTN)
14. Mr. Alagunambi welkin (FSFTN)
15. Mr. Swaminadane (Member, PuduvaiLUG)
16. Mr. Prasanna Venkadesh (Coordinator, PuduvaiLUG).
From the above list you could have noted that, the venue was filled with people from various domains. We have divided the works into committees and share the organizing work among members.. Below are the List of committees.
1. Venue Committee – Deciding a place for the event to be celebrated.
2. Finance Committee – Deciding on Sponsors for the event, and fund arrangements.
3. Campaigning Committee – To spread the news loud everywhere.
4. Organizing Committee – Coordinates every other committee to keep on track and preparing for events.
Snaps from the Meetup
Once everyone arrived, Alagunambi Welkin of FSFTN started the session by giving introduction on Software Freedom Day and the need to celebrate the event.
Venue Committee:- We started to pull in options for venue from members. We have got number of options and soon the venue will be fixed.
1. Murugavel – 9486814358 ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
2. Sindhuja – (email@example.com)
Finance Committee:- Being Non-profit organization, Fund is an important factor for a successful event.
1. Meenakshi Sundaram – 9994189908 ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
2. Pradhip Kumar – 9994236872 ( email@example.com )
3. Ramesh – 8056943120 ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
4. Lalith kumar – 8056473042 ( email@example.com )
5. Prasanna Venkadesh – 9940325718 ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Campaigning Committee:- It takes a little hard-work to make the event to reach everyone.
Design of posters, pamphlets, banners, press news would start commencing once the Content are ready.
1. Prasanth Radhakrishnan (Content creator) – 9176661086 ( email@example.com)
2. Prabhu. D ( Sending invitations to various colleges) – 9952665667 ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
3. Ramesh, Prasanna Venkadesh (Poster, Pamphlet, Banner Design) – 8056943120, 9940325718 ( email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org )
Organizing Committee:- ” A Perfect Orchestra is needed to keep everything synchronized ”
1. Viramani, Prabhu. D ( Stall organizers on Software Freedom Day ) – 9994072195, 9952665667 ( email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org )
2. Mohamed Thaafeek (Stall registration) – 9789688455 ( email@example.com )
I request members and volunteers to check if your contact number, email id’s mentioned above are correct, if not please do report it.
As soon as committee’s are formed, the works are scheduled with fixed date as deadline for every task and every task are clearly explained to respective organizers. If you have missed this meet and if you would love to be the part of this energetic community, you can leave a email to ” prasmailme @ gmail . com ” and a little about you and in which committee you are interested to join with.
We are also looking for sponsors for the event.
Closing: After good networking the meet ended up around 3:00PM. We will meet next weekend again for a progress check / modifications / new additions.
Interesting news, projects, events on GNU/Linux and Open Source / Free Software all together.
1. Two Day Workshop on Free Open Source Software (MIT, Anna University, Chennai)
2 day FOSS Workshop is to be conducted at Madras Institute of Technology, Anna University Campus, Chennai on August 24 & 25th. To know more details about the event and to download Registration form click here.
2. Software Freedom Day at Puducherry
” If you have a Cup of tea and you share it with your friend it becomes half cup of tea, But if you have knowledge and share it with others it doubles and grows exponentially “.
Do you use VLC Media Player, Mozilla Firefox, GIMP, Audacity, Chromium or any other Free Software, ? Then why don’t you take a day to thank the community that develops these Software and letting anyone (even you) to see the code of the software, allows you to modify the code of the software, distribute to anyone. The Day is near-by. Yes, Every year on the Month of September 3rd Saturday falls the Software Freedom Day. This year it is on September 15, 2012. Last year we celebrated the day at MIT, Anna University Campus, Chennai with Indian Linux Users Group Chennai along with other Volunteers, Students, and corporate. This year we are planning to Organize here at Puducherry and open for Public. If you are a School or College Student / Working professional / An Entrepreneur / Wikipedia Contributor / Open Source Enthusiast / GNU/Linux user / Programmers then you are most welcome to put your stalls and show case the Open source / Free software tools that you use or love the most.
Note:- If you are interested to put a Demo stall, kindly email at ” prasmailme @ gmail . com ” with the subject ” SFD 2012 “. More details like Venue, Time, Resources will be updated soon.
3. The Power of GIMP [Video – 1 minute]
A Time-lapse video showcasing the latest version of GIMP
4. For Web Developers
Demo here:– http://graphjs.com/
5. Python Programming – Send SMS from Python
Do you want to Send SMS to any mobiles in India using your Way2SMS.com account without going to the site? And that too from your GNU/Linux Operating system using Python? Or Are you looking for a code that sends SMS using Way2SMS.com to use in your project? Take a look at this Page
To See and download the code click on “View Project on Github ” at the right top of the page.
Thank you for spending your time here. Expecting Volunteers for Software Freedom Day. Don’t forget to Email at ” Prasmailme @ gmail . com “.